NEWS + EVENTS
TALK EARLY, TALK OFTEN…KEEP TALKING!
Parents are the #1 influence in a child’s life.
It’s not too early to talk with your child to prevent youth substance use.
When to Talk
– In a car, you have a captive audience to provide short bits of information.
– When watching TV, address any illegal drug or alcohol use shown.
– During mealtimes, take time to speak with your child – research shows that children who have dinner with their families are less likely to drink alcohol or use illegal drugs.
What to say
– Preschool: “Vitamins are to keep us healthy, but only take what I give you.”
– Elementary School: “You should only take medicines that your doctor chooses for you – it’s dangerous to take someone else’s medicine and it could make you sick.”
– Middle School: “Alcohol and drugs can damage your brain and may stop you from being your best in school and in sports.”